Summaries of major events sponsored by Earth Ministry in 2008
- Retreat at Holden Village
- Sixty members and friends of Earth Ministry gathered July 7-11, 2008 at Holden Village for a retreat.
- Irreplaceable Photo Exhibit at Burke Museum
- Earth Ministry was a major sponsor for the Irreplaceable Campaign and Exhibit at the Burke Museum from July 11-August 10, 2008. Through the use of stunning photography, the Irreplaceable Campaign (a coalition of art, justice, science, and faith groups) works to educate people about wildlife most threatened by climate change. Earth Ministry organized several events in conjunction with the exhibit.
- 2008 Celebration of St. Francis Sermon Contest
- Earth Ministry holds an annual Celebration of St. Francis. On October 4, 2008, Earth Ministry held a creation care sermon contest as part of the Celebration, which included earth-honoring choral music.
- Faith, Energy, & Environment with U.S. Representative Jay Inslee
- Earth Ministry hosted a talk by US Representative Jay Inslee (D-WA), followed by an interfaith panel about environmental protection and global warming.
- Partnership for Environmental Health
- Earth Ministry builds on its long history of working on environmental health issues by joining with the National Council of Churches and the Toxic-Free Legacy Coalition to engage even more people of faith in healthy, non-toxic living. In the 2008 legislative session, Earth Ministry worked to pass the Children’s Safe Products Act.
- Environmental Justice on Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Earth Ministry teamed up with EarthCorps for a day of service to honor the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Over 250 people chose not to take a “day off” from work, but rather have a “day on” for environmental justice.
- “Focus the Nation”
- Earth Ministry joined over 1,700 organizations and institutions around the country by taking part in “Focus the Nation,” a national teach-in on global warming.
- Earth Ministry, Advocacy In Action
- As one of two faith partners in the Priorities for a Healthy Washington Coalition, Earth Ministry members have energetically pursued passage of various pieces of environmental legislation -- Executive Director LeeAnne Beres and Program & Outreach Director Jessie Dye have made Earth Ministry a strong partner in statewide advocacy.