Advocacy for All Creation
What is Advocacy?
An advocate is defined as “one that pleads the cause of another.” The Holy Spirit’s title in the New Testament is that of paraclete, often translated as advocate. As Christians, we are called to follow Christ’s example and plead the cause of those people, plants, and animals whose voices are not heard or well-represented in public policy decisions.
Washington State 2012 Environmental Priorities
In Washington State, we are blessed with a strong coalition of conservation and faith leaders who join together to pick the top environmental priorities in our State Legislature each year. Choosing the top bills for everyone’s support is a hard job, but when the leadership of all these groups – including Earth Ministry! – settles on the final legislative package, you can rest assured that it is the right one.This year's Environmental Priorities are:
- Toxic Free Kids Act
- Fulfill Our Clean Energy Initiative
- Pollution-Free Prosperity
How does Earth Ministry Engage in Advocacy?
Earth Ministry engages the faith community in public policy advocacy for the environment. We focus on water, food, toxics, and climate and energy issues in Congress and the Washington State Legislature. Earth Ministry has strong partnerships with congregations, denominational public policy offices, religious organizations, and environmental groups in Washington and across the nation, and also hosts Washington Interfaith Power & Light, a program that organizes an interfaith religious response to climate change.
Specifically, Earth Ministry:
- teaches advocacy skills to religious communities of all kinds
- educates people of faith about current environmental issues and legislation (A Legislative Workshop is held every January)
- empowers individuals to make their voice heard from a faith perspective on key issues
- turns out large groups of people of faith to lobby days in Olympia, WA (Environmental Lobby Day and Faith Advocacy Day) and Washington, DC
- organizes in-district meetings between religious leaders and elected officials
- speaks at a multitude of public events on advocacy for all creation
- uses the media to help spread the message and impact of faith-based creation care
Please join us and lift your voice up with ours in support of a healthy and vibrant creation for all to enjoy! Contact Program & Outreach Director Jessie Dye if you would like to get involved.