The Coal Hard Truth Forum in Seattle
Citizens of Seattle, learn about protecting Ballard, Magnolia, the waterfront, Georgetown and many other neighborhoods in Seattle from up to twenty 1.5 mile long coal trains per day!
Jun 20, 2012
from 07:00 pm to 09:00 pm
|Where||Magnolia United Church of Christ, Pilgrim Hall, 3555 West McGraw Street, Seattle|
|Contact Name||Jessie Dye|
|Add event to calendar||
What are our risks if Peabody Coal (the largest coal company in the world) and SSA Marine are allowed to transport up to 48 million of tons of coal through King county on rail to send to Asia via Cherry Point just north of Bellingham?
Join with fellow community members on June 20th at Magnolia United Church of Christ and be informed about the long-term negative health, economic, and environmental impacts of this project on our entire region. Hear from local professionals about their concerns.
God’s creation is crying for our concern, as our air and water are damaged by fossil fuels. Keeping coal in the ground is part of making a better world for our children.
You'll learn about:
- The regional picture of coal export from Montana, through Seattle, to China
- The specifics of the SSA Marine’s proposed coal mega-port
- Potential health and safety threats from coal dust, traffic and emergency service delays, diesel exhaust, and local impacts of global warming pollution
- Why religious leaders are opposed to fossil fuel export
- What you can do to stop this coal export proposal!
This event is sponsored by Earth Ministry's
Washington Interfaith Power & Light project.